Mozambique's president has called for newly stationed multi-national troops to act with "harmony" and "respect for human life" as they prepare to serve in the troubled province of Cabo Delgado.
The mission is funded by the southern African regional bloc, Sadc, with a budget of $12m (£8.6m) and renewable on a month-by-month basis.
More than 3,000 people have been killed and 820,000 displaced since the Islamist insurgency in Cabo Delgado began in 2017.
Last month Rwanda sent 1,000 soldiers to Mozambique to fight the militants, and on Sunday Rwandan and Mozambican troops said they recaptured the rebels' stronghold of Mocímboa da Praia.
"Strengthen your relations with the populations through humanitarian aid, whenever possible," Mozambique's President Felipe Nyusi told troops at Monday's official send-off ceremony also attended by Botswana's leader Mokgoeetsi Masisi.
The two premiers have key Sadc roles - they are Sadc president and Sadc defence chair, respectively.
"You are heroes. As the government of the republic of Mozambique, we will spare no efforts to ensure the restoration of peace and security," Mr Nyusi added.